Tuesday, July 22, 2008

One more thing to worry about

Finn's testes are nowhere to be found. I assume they're up there somewhere, but they're not where they're supposed to be. Sue noticed it at birth and has mentioned it a few times but I never really gave it much thought with everything else going on until yesterday when I was changing his diaper and noticed for the first time myself. I did some reading up on the subject and apparently it's not all that uncommon with baby boys, although, like the duodenal atresia, it can also be the result of Ds. In most cases they descend by about six months; if not, surgery may be required.

So in Finn's case it's sort of a double-edged sword, at least in my mind. I don't want him to have to have surgery again, but I worry that we'll be told why bother with surgery since he'll be sterile anyway, as I've learned that males with Ds are sterile. I want him to have all his parts in the right places, whether or not they'll actually be functional. Does that make sense? So, anyway, now I find myself obsessing over his testes :/ Under other circumstances, this might be funny.

Tomorrow morning he has his first appt. with our regular pediatrician. Should be just a normal first-time newborn checkup, but because of his post-surgery status and feeding issues, I have a feeling it'll be a little out of the norm.

The nursing continues to improve, although I still don't know how much he's taking when he nurses. We'll see how much he weighs tomorrow. Michael is continuing to give him a couple of supplemental bottles of EBM every day - can't hurt, right?

Today Michael worked almost a full day at the office and I was on my own with the kids. It went relatively well. I managed to feed all the kids (quite a feat), give Finn a bath, and get all the kids dressed decently so I could take some pics for a birth announcement. I barely managed to get myself fed, and I spent the day in ratty sweats and a shirt that was both spit up on and peed on by Finn.

Ahhh, this is the life . . . right?

5 comments:

Razzle Dazzle Mom said...

Lisa, my son had undescended testicles, but being my first, I didn't notice anything different until the doc pointed it out. At one, they were still not down, and we took him to a pediatric urologist, he found them no problem, and said they were "retractable". You have so much to worry about, I hope this one is one you will not need to worry about. :)

Rachel (rachelrazzle)

Cindy said...

Lisa - I hear often they descend on their own, but can understand your concerns and why. I hope the dr. will have some positive answers for you when you go in.

Glad today went fairly well for you and the kids. HUGS!

Northernlove said...

Hey Lisa,
Glad to hear you had a good day. Ahh those newborn days- I remember being happy to be able to brush my hair. You'll look back on these days and say "What a blurr those days were!"
((HUGS))
Jan (Four4us)

sakun said...

Hey Lisa. keeping my fingers crossed this morning for a little weight gain for Finn. Glad you had a pretty good day yesterday...well considering u were home alone w/a newborn & the other kids i'd say you had a great day. I hope u finn's pediatrician appt goes well today...sending tons of good thoughts your way. as for u wanting all of finn's parts to be where they belong I would absolutely feel the same way...lots of hugs! saku

Anonymous said...

Hoping Finn's appointment went well. Thinking of you. (((HUGS)))

Alyson - PO