Thursday, May 7, 2009

A shit week

Finn woke up yet again last night burning up with fever and I sat up with him for half the night as he whimpered and cried. His cough sounds terrible, and nothing I did seemed to console him. I was seriously wondering if this little guy was going to end up in the hospital. Finally after hours of this, he feel asleep on my chest as I sat up in bed.

I got up this morning with a headache. I've actually had a nagging headache for about 3 days. By the time I dropped the kids at their respective schools and Michael at the train station (he was in no shape to drive to the train station this morning but still had to go to work, and in fact ended up having to work late), all the stress and sleeplessness and sickness culminated in an awful migraine. I sat with Finn doing a breathing treatment this morning trying not to vomit, and I finally had to stop and put him down in his crib and let him cry while I went to throw up. I called the pediatrician to tell them that Finn is not getting any better and the receptionist said she would have the doctor or a nurse call me back. They know me by name now. All I had to say was "This is Lisa Morguess calling . . ." and the receptionist said, "Ohhhh, is Finnian still not feeling well?"


So I turned Noggin on and put the three girls in front of the TV and begged them (literally) to please be good and quiet and let Mommy rest for a little while, and I got into bed while my head hurt so bad I could hardly see straight despite having popped 3 Advil. I had to get up a number of times to vomit. At one point, there I was, heaving my guts up into the toilet while Daisy banged on the door saying "Mommy, what are you doing? I need a snack!" It was seriously like being in hell.

The nurse from the ped's office called me back and said that based on the symptoms I described over the phone, they feared Finn might have pnuemonia and that I needed to bring him in, and could I bring him right away? I stared crying then. I told her "I can't even drive right now, my head hurts so bad that I'm throwing up." She was so kind, which just made me cry more (I'm at that point where any kindness anyone shows me has me in tears. I feel utterly pitiful.) She said, "I just want you to know that all of us here understand the stress you're under. We all know about your husband, and we're all pulling for you guys." (Which made me cry more.) Anyway, she said they would squeeze us in at the end of the day, which would give me a chance to hopefully get my shit together.

Shortly after that I got Finn from his room and put him into bed with me, and we stayed there until noon. I never do that. I never even take naps. And yes, that means that Daisy, Annabelle and Lilah sat in front of the tv all freaking morning. Ack.

Finally around noon I was feeling somewhat better. Shaky, my head was still aching a little, but it had subsided and the nausea was gone. My lovely sister-in-law was kind enough to drop everything and drive all the way from L.A. to stay with the kids while I took Finn to the ped later.

So at the ped's they tried to get an oxygen-saturation reading on him with this little portable pulse-ox monitor, but they couldn't get a reading. The doc listened to his chest and said that he's still got a wheeze but that it doesn't sound like pnuemonia. He checked his throat (red) and his ears, and lo and behold, another ear infection. Which probably explains the nighttime fevers and inconsolability. So another round of antibiotics, something new this time, a 5 day course of Omnicef, which I've never heard of. I hope it does the trick. I don't think that either Finn or I can take much more of this.

Someone said something to me recently that's made me stop and wonder: have I become one of those annoying people who has constant drama going on? I swear, sometimes I look at my life lately and I hardly recognize it. We were sailing along smoothly, thank you very much, and then BAM! A baby with Down syndrome. Six months later, BAM! Michael gets diagnosed with cancer. (It's interesting . . . my dad and my first husband died almost exactly six months apart. It's enough to make a person superstitious.) Bambambam, the baby's always sick (or so it seems at times), and needs this surgery and that procedure.

Feeling very tired and bewildered lately.

22 comments:

Nicole O'Dell said...

I'm so sorry that all of this is going on. I really hope the new meds do the trick. FAST.

The Sanchez Family said...

You sooooooo need a calgon weekend!!! I hope you get some time to recuperate. My heart aches for you. Wishing you all well.

Kristin said...

I too am a momma with something always going on. It comes with the territory. I people don't want to hear it they should move on! Me do Omnicef frequently and it usually works well. Beware of the red poopy. Consider yourself warned. Hope that you are both feeling better soon. There are worse things then a morning of noggin. Cut yourself some slack.

Molly said...

Hang in there!! I'm sorry things have been so rough lately!

Angie said...

Hugs Lisa..
Oh man, I don't know how your doing it, but your doing it girl. Hang in there. You haven't became one of those annoying people.

Look after yourself. Thinking of you (sounds so lame, wish there was more I could offer you as a friend)

Linda said...

((((((Lisa))))))) Ugh, what a rough one. Sending love to you, sweetie.

Karly said...

{hugs}

I think you are doing much better in the situation than most of us can fathom doing with the same set of circumstances. Hang in there.

Jen said...

Sorry your week sucks. So sorry.

Two of my kids have been on Omnicef before; it worked great for them. I think it's a stronger antibiotic than some of the others. There was a point when Eli had a bunch of ear infections in a row; he was about Finn's age, actually, and it was right about this time of year. There was talk of tubes and everything. The Omnicef was what finally knocked it out. He never got tubes, and hasn't had an ear infection since, and he's about to turn 4. His first year was bad, though. Hope it works as well for Finn!

Ann said...

Hi Lisa. Just wanted to share that I had migraines come back into my life recently after being gone for 10 years and it was all because of sleep deprivation. I found that whenever I was up a lot with the twins I would get a migraine the next day. I finally went to the doc to get a prescription for it. They put me on Midrin, which works well for me. I also wanted to say that Caleb has had a lot of respiratory issues this cold and flu season and Omnicef worked the best. I hope you can gets some migraine medicine to have on hand because, unfortunately, there may be more sleepless nights. After all this is it ironic to wish you a Happy Mother's Day?

Wendy P said...

((((hugs)))) Hang in there, Lisa. I'm so sorry this week has been so rough.

Laurie said...

Oh Lisa...Hang in there! It's got to get better. I'm thinking of you...and wishing like heck I lived closer so I could help...
((Big Huge Hugs))

*K* said...

Lisa-

I'll second (third?) the comments about Omnicef- my 20 month old daughter gets ear infections at least every other month, and I'm not keen on doing tubes yet, so she's been on the Omnicef several times and it seems to do the trick. You might make sure that Finn has a full tummy when he takes it, as sometimes it can cause a slight stomach ache.

No one should have to go through as much as you have in such a short amount of time, but you seem to have the strength required. Just keep truckin!

Loren Stow said...

I am so sorry for all this going on! It must be really tough! I'm not going to say that I've been there - just that I hope that it gets better for you all!
You're in my thoughts.

SunflowerStories said...

Oh, Lisa! I am so sorry to hear you are sick, too, on top of all the stress.

Omnicef rocks, it is really powerful so I hope it makes Finn clear up quickly. You might want to use sposies for a bit- Omicef can cause nasty diapers & rashes. As much as I hate sposies and leaky poops, it can be a sanity saver when you are changing lots of poops every day and using cream.

I hope someone can help with the kids today so you can get some rest and feel better.

Oh, and you totally are not a drama mama!

sheree said...

Yeah, I think a spa day is DEFINITELY in order. I thought I had it bad yesterday with my tummy cramps and a croupy baby in the middle of the night. Sheesh.

I'm sorry you are under so much stress right now. (((hugs)))

Tricia said...

So sorry to hear about this, Lisa! I know just what you mean about crying when people are nice. I was crying reading about people being nice to you!

Bug hugs. G has been on omnicef and it worked great. Hope it does the trick.

Brandie said...

(((Hugs))) Migraines suck.

Tara said...

Lisa,
I know people often say, "I'm praying for you" off-handedly, just for something to say. But, I really am praying for you. May God give you grace, strength, and peace to juggle all that's in your life right now and may He draw you close to Him.

I can so relate to the bawling when anyone is nice to you. Ugh. I hate that. It's a vicious cycle...I cry, so they're even nicer, which makes me cry more, etc.

Oh, and I'm here to testify that one morning (or even several) of Noggin will not ruin your girls!

Hugs,
Tara
P.S. I've threatened to put my ped's # in my phone as one of my favorite five!

Crittle said...

Hm, I don't want to make you cry by being too nice, but dammit it's hard cause you really are going through some stuff right now, huh?

I'm here for you, friend.

Jodi said...

Two thoughts - #1 - Noggin's got some educational stuff so no worries about the girls vegging out in front of the TV. It's not like they're watching Jerry Springer or COPS. We call those "PJ and Movie days" around here - it sounds better than "Momma's too tired to get anyone dressed or leave the house" days.

#2 - you're definitely not one of those annoying people with constant drama. Crap happens in life and sharing that with our friends if what makes our friendships deeper. Good times and the bad. I'd encourage you to re-read some of your earlier posts when you had more sleep and a little less sickness in the house - post of gratefulness in the face of said crap, diagnoses, and life. Your honesty is one of the things that makes your blog so interesting - the good and the bad. Besides, I'd question your sanity if you never had a bad day/week/month.

Hang in there and let's plan a girls' night out soon where you can steal away for a couple of hours. Pick a night and I'll do the rest :)

My name is Sarah said...

This is Joyce, Oh Lisa, I am sending warm fuzzy hugs and kisses your way. You are definately having a tough go of it right now. I'm sure the kids are fine with the TV, but oh your darn head. I used to get those sick migraines and they are wicked. A cool cloth over my eyes used to help. Hang in there, they say there's gold at the end of the rainbow:)

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Lisa, I'm so sorry you've had such a rough week. Sometimes I feel like we're that "drama" family too. And I hate it.

Omnicef is a GOOD antibiotic for ear infections. Keeghan's been on it LOTS. Just don't be alarmed if Finn's poop turns red. That's normal. (Our ped forgot to tell me the first time Kennedy was on it and I thought for sure she was bleeding! LOL)

Keep on keeping on... you're doing a great job!