Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sick. Again.

I am so sad and frustrated. Last night was another sleepless night. Finn seemed fine when I put him to bed but woke up a couple hours later with a horrible barking cough and a fever, and then this morning he was vomiting. You know, the thing is, he doesn't seem like a frail, sickly baby. I mean, he's strong, he's good sized, he's active . . . but damn, he's always sick it seems like, and I just feel like crying. I really don't think - in fact, I know - that he ever completely got over the last round of bronchiolitis from a couple weeks ago, despite a 10-day cycle of amoxicillan and the fact that I'm still giving him albuterol syrup by mouth a couple times a day. But that cough has just hung on, and now it seems like it's taken a total turn for the worse again. So we're off to the pediatrician a-freaking-gain this morning (this time with 3 other kids in tow). Aaaauuuugggghhhhh!!!!!

6 comments:

Jen said...

Ugh. I'm sorry! Poor Finn. I thought sickness should be getting less frequent this time of year, but all 3 of my boys have a cold/cough and I know lots of people with strep, rotovirus, and all kinds of icky things.

Finn's got it hard. Not only does he possibly have a weaker immune system, he's got lots of siblings bringing all kinds of germs home.

The first year was rough with all of my kids, but especially Evan. It seemed like he was sick constantly, especially the spring before he turned one. It was just one thing after another, or one long illness, who knows? The good news is that each year has gotten better (knocking on wood here!). I hope the same is true for Finn. He's certainly building up some immunity this year!

Jen said...

Oh, and obvs I'm no doctor, but it sounds like croup to me. My guys get that all the time, it seems. Even Eli, who is pretty hardy stock and seems to ward off most things that the rest of us get. That barking cough. Ugh. The good news about croup is that it's usually over quickly. Hope tonight goes better.

Tausha said...

So sorry that Finn is sick again and you are lacking sleep, it's so hard some days. Sam has a really croupy cough but no fever so the Doctor said there is nothing we can do at this point. We are just running the humidifier and keeping him in and hoping he will get rid of it.

Cheryl said...

I just posted about my family feeling cruddy today and then I saw your post.Sorry Finn has been sick :(

Ria said...

Sorry to hear that Finn is sick again. I only have 1 kid so I just imagine having 3 kids sick is rough, no, maybe hell. I hope everyone gets better soon.

Jeanette said...

So sorry that he is sick again. Both Syd and Anthony went through these "stages" where they were sick for weeks/months on end. It was awful! For them and me. I hope he gets through this soon.