Monday, March 22, 2010

Progression, Regression, and the Inevitable Worry


Finn has completely stopped pulling up to standing over the last week or so. Before, he was pulling up to stand on every piece of furniture and surface he could get his little hands on, and even taking a few cruising steps here and there. And then it just stopped. A week and a half ago, I took him and his sister to the park, where there is a set of eight or ten stone steps leading up to a big grassy area. I couldn't keep him off those steps; I would set him on the ground, he was crawl over to them as fast as he could, navigate his way to the top and take off scampering into the grass. I'd retrieve him, and he'd start the whole thing over . . . and over . . . and over. I took the kids to that very same park yesterday morning and Finn crawled over to those steps and sat at the bottom looking up at them, unwilling to go any further.

I can't figure it out. And I'm trying very, very hard not to worry myself sick over this.

He's not showing any other worrisome signs or symptoms. He seems well and happy (you know, except when he's good and crabby), and his babbling seems to really be taking off - not that he's saying any actual words, but he seems to be making a wider variety of sounds ("ba," "ma," "da," "ga,") using different inflections as if he's really trying to get some point across.

But still. This regression. It has me worried. What does it mean?

I try to remind myself that with Finn, progress has not always been in the same form as it's been with my other kids. Sometimes it's forward, sure. But sometimes it's lateral. Sometimes it's static. And sometimes it's two steps forward and one step back.

[Deep breath . . .]

6 comments:

The Sanchez Family said...

I feel the same way over here and I just continue to remind myself to let go. Joaquin has ALL the therapies but it really hasn't made a difference. He has had the "ability" to walk since December but really is not at all interested so he continues to crawl and cruise and it's been that way for a long time. And this is with PT twice a week so....really...they are going to do it when they are going to do it :)

ds.mama said...

They say that with all kids, there comes a standstill in some areas when there are leaps and bounds going on in others... I'll bet he is in a focused "communication" stage. He probably isn't regressing in gross-motor but just taking a rest while other areas of his development heat up.

On Thanksgiving day, Summer signed (unprompted) the spider sign from the song the Itsy Bitsy Spider. She did it a couple times that day and I was thrilled. She did not do it again until last week when I asked her if she wanted to bounce in her jumper or play... she replied with the sign "spider", and so I sang and signed the song. I never know if she has lost something (regressed) or has just forgotten about doing it while she is busy with other things.

I think my typical kids were this way too, but they did so much so fast, I never had time to worry about what they stopped doing.

Kristin said...

I've heard similar to ds.mama. Some kiddos 'stop' doing stuff they know how to do, while their brain is focusing on a new skill. Once the new skill is 'mastered', they do both again. Max stopped most of his babbling after open heart surgery 6 months ago. He just barely starting making other sounds than screaching this month - but is now rolling and sitting like a champ!

Sweet Pea's Mommy said...

I don't have any experience, but I think the other mommies said it well. I really don't think you have to worry about anything. Sweet Pea seems to do something a few times and then she stops doing it completely for quite some time. We worried at first, but now we just expect it and don't worry about it. I think I would worry needlessly if she did this with walking/crawling/etc like you are, but I think it would be needless worry most definitely!

Monica Crumley said...

He just needs a break. With all that activity, his muscles might need a rest. OR... he's working on some new sounds and can only do "so much." Don't worry... it is totally NORMAL. John Michael often takes a break on things when another area of development takes over. BTW, that's great that he can say "g". That's a really hard sound in the back of the throat.

Alycia said...

Hi Lisa,

This is very common. If he is babbling more then he is most likely focusing on that skill right now. It is very common for babies to do this. Dont worry yourself! In a week he will pull himself right up and then before you know it take a few steps and you would have worried yourself for no reason. Be excited about the increase in babble and enjoy that milestone... XOXO