Thursday, November 20, 2008

Book Club

I've been a part of a book club for a little over 5 years now. It's a wonderful group of women, and our discussions are something I look forward to every month. We take turns (randomly) choosing a book for the group to read, and then the person who chose the book hosts the discussion. It's a nice evening away from the kids, where we women get together and discuss books and, inevitably, life, usually accompanied by refreshments that include wine and something of the chocolate pursuasion.

I am hosting the discussion tonight. The book I chose was Road Map to Holland. We generally read a variety of stuff, from classics to memoirs to contemporary fiction. This book is a bit of a departure, however, since it's technically classified as a "Parenting/Special Needs" book. But it reads like a memoir, and so I thought it would be an acceptable choice.

I really struggled with making the choice, though. I was mostly afraid that nobody would be interested, and that my choosing such a book would come across as selfish, and trying to promote some personal agenda or something.

It looks like there was plenty of interest, judging from the RSVPs I've gotten - I'm expecting about a dozen women here tonight. I'm feeling nervous about it now, though. What if anyone didn't like the book? Will I take it personally? What if everyone walks on eggshells through the discussion, afraid of upsetting me? Most of these women read my blog somewhat regularly, and they showed in the aftermath of Finn's birth and diagnosis, and since then, what true friendship is all about. So, on the one hand, maybe I shouldn't worry so much. On the other hand, maybe I should. Hmmm. Maybe it wasn't such a grand idea to choose such an emotionally charged topic for reading . . .

Stay tuned.

5 comments:

K*senia said...

It sounds like an interesting book. Our library carries it, so I will have to pick it up this week. :) Enjoy your book club meeting.

Megan said...

I am sure that people read the book because they care about you and they are interested in JGG's message. It's a great book. I think it's great you're exposing people who aren't parents of a kid with Ds to our little world. The more people who see the positives of our world, the more people who will advocate for our children.

Tricia said...

I think what Momma M said is probably true. And who cares if it's sort of pushing your "agenda"...how do other people choose the books they choose if not because they have some sort of special interest. I agree it might be tough, but I look forward to hearing about how it went. I think Jenifer's book appeals to MANY more people than just those of us who deal with DS. Good luck.

Lisa B said...

I LOVED the book Lisa - sure there were tears reading it but books that move you are the ones worth reading right? The reason you participated in 31 for 21 was to raise awareness of DS so if you chose this book along that same vein that is FINE - you want others to have a deeper look at and hopefully more understanding of what DS is and how it affects people who have DS and those who love them! That is not selfish at all...I really look forward to the discussion tonight. Lisa

Crittle said...

Wow. I think that's fantastic. I am looking forward to the recap of the evening.