Saturday, November 1, 2008

Piss me off

I was going to take a break from blogging since the 31 for 21 challenge is over, but I can't let this go.

I was at Target today (by myself) and there was this group of teenagers goofing off, just behaving completely obnoxiously, running around, screeching, etc. And then I heard one of them say to another of them, "You're soooo retarded! Don't be such a retard!" And I felt the blood just drain from my upper regions. I actually started shaking, I felt so mad. And I stood there, trying to decide if I should give in to my instincts which were telling me to march over and give them a piece of my mind. I decided not to because I'm sure it would have fallen on deaf ears. They would have only seen me as the crazy bitch. All I kept thinking, though, was geez, what if my kids had been there and heard it? What if Finn was older and was there and heard it? We're just never going to get away from it.

3 comments:

Eternal Lizdom said...

Sometimes life gives us teaching opportunities. Now you have the opportunity to plan what to do when the day comes that your children are witness to that sort of behavior. And you can then demonstrate how to handle it and have an open discussion about it. And you might consider come up with a plan on how to handle those kind of people in the future for yourself. There is a way to choose to go past the anger but still kindly educate. Even if they act tough and think you are crazy, you will still have an impact.

I'm sorry someone hurt you.

Lisa said...

Liz, you're right. Thank you for the very eloquent words of wisdom.

Leigh Anne said...

i'm sorry lisa. i can't stand the teenagers in target. you can raise your children to not act like that....that will make a huge impact!

hugs...