Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Feeding Eval Follow-Up

Finn and I had a follow-up appt. with the feeding therapist we saw a few weeks ago. In all honesty, he seemed to have turned a corner with eating a few days before that first appt., and feeding him by spoon has continued to go well. He downs a jar of baby food 2 - 3 times a day with no problem. He is not eating any finger or table foods yet (except the occasional mashed avacado or banana), and the therapist said that by this age he needs to start accepting foods with more texture, so we need to work on that. I also have not pushed the cup or straw drinking, mostly because he still nurses all the time and I'm lazy :(

She was very pleased with how he's doing, but made a point of noting problems and potential issues. The thing is, she wrote up a report after her initial evaluation three weeks ago and sent copies to me, to our ped, and to our service coordinator at Regional Center. In her report she recommended that feeding therapy twice a month be added to Finn's IFSP to help him with transitioning to more solid food as well as taking liquids from a cup. As I mentioned in a previous post, I've been hearing things second hand from our PT, but not a single word from our SC. Eun, our PT told me that our SC had contacted her about Finn's feeding issues and about the report/recommendation she got from the independent therapist, and that she was submitting the recommendation to the "team." Apparently, however, our SC does not feel it's necessary to communicate directly with me about these issues, and has not said a single freaking word to me about any of it. And frankly I'm pissed off. If they're going to deny the request, fine, but do your job and contact me for crying out loud! And I have no doubt that I could be doing a better job advocating for Finn - I could be chasing her down for answers. My only excuse is that I am so bogged down with all the other crap going on in our lives that I just can't bear a fight right now.

So anyway, the therapist told me today that she is going to write up another report after this morning's eval focusing much more on problems Finn is having or that she anticipates him having, and perhaps this will light a fire under somebody's ass. I am not hopeful that he will get the added therapy at this time, and really, I don't think I'll be devastated if that's the case. I just want our SC to communicate with me. I don't think that's too much to expect.

2 comments:

Carla said...

Any chance you're up for calling her and asking "what gives?". I mean, isn't it her job to let you know what is going on? Jeez.

Crittle said...

We are having an almost identical problem, but re: ST. Maybe they learn this crap in SC training?