Saturday, August 8, 2009

Book Review: Ruby in Her Own Time


I usually reserve my book reviews for my other blog, Book Lust, but I have to rave about this one here. Ruby in Her Own Time is a children's book recommended by a commenter here a while back (I wish I could remember who it was!). There are a lot of children's books that I find so touching that they bring me to tears, and this is one of them. A very sweet, short story, with gorgeous illustrations, about a late bloomer who does indeed bloom - in her own time - with her parents' love. Although this book is not necessarily about someone with "special needs," it celebrates the fact that all children bloom in their own time.

8 comments:

Carla said...

Wasn't Finn going to be named Ruby if he had been a girl...?

Michelle said...

We got a copy of this from a friend last year :) I love it! .... how could I not, when it has Ruby in it??

Cheryl said...

Thanks for bringing this book to my attention! I'm sure my little girls will get a kick out of reading this book to our Ruby.

Sharon said...

One of our favorites, too!

tekeal said...

we have a sister book: "this way ruby", which is also beautiful... ruby is slower on an adventure than her siblings, taking time to appreciate & notice her surroundings... & guides them all home when a storm comes & no one else knows how to find their way back to the nest.

Andrea said...

That was me that recommended it! You don't know me from a hole in the wall, I used to lurk on the July 08 pregnancy.org board, and my dd was born a day after Finn was. Your story just captivated me, and I've been following your blog ever since! While I do not share your particular situation (the extra large family, or the extra chromosome!), I truly feel connected somehow to your very real account of life as a mother, although the challenges we face may be different at times, often, they are, in some ways, exactly the same. Thanks for putting your heart into words, and sharing them with us! And I'm glad you liked Ruby! It's a great reminder that all kids create their own unique timeline!

Lisa said...

Andrea! Well, thank you so much for the book recommendation . . . and for the very kind words! Really, it means so much to me.

Maya said...

This was one of the books we bought for Leo before he was born, before we knew he had DS. We brought it to him when he was in the NICU and I think it was the first book we read to him. I cried and cried. Such a sweet book.