Friday, September 18, 2009

Under the weather . . . and connections

This has been Finn for the last couple of days. Just kind of mopey. Laying on the floor and whimpering and whining. Not super interested in eating. No fever or other symptoms, just the mopeyness. So I assume he's coming down with something. Well, it's that time . . . his brothers and sisters are back in school and bringing all manner of germs home. So, we'll see where this goes. Although yesterday I was feeling a little anxious over it, I've decided I'll just wait and see what happens before I start going on worry-overload.

***

The other day I took Finn and Lilah to the grocery store with me. The grocery store where "Linda" works. I've become a little enamored of her. Ever since Michael had his little sit-down with her, I've wanted so much to talk to her, but what to say? And what right do I have to intrude into her life anyway? But when I go to this particular store, I always hope that she will be our bagger, and this time she was. I noticed that she had put some funky blonde streaks in her hair! Which was very becoming, and made me happy in some weird way. So Finn was in the shopping cart and she was talking to him and oohing and aahing over him, and I just kept wondering, "Does she know? Does she know that he's one of her people? Can she see it or sense it?" I wanted so badly to say something, but what to say? It was just a really neat thing though, seeing her with Finn.

8 comments:

Leigh Anne said...

poor finn. hope he feels better soon. i love his little jumper...too cute.

and maybe next time, you'll know what to say :)

Michelle said...

Ahhh, he looks so sad. But still adorable! Hope he's feeling better soon.

heather said...

There is a young lady that works in the lunchroom at my kids' school whom has Ds. She was oooing and ahhhhing over Morgan a few years ago and saying how beautiful Morgan is. I said, "we think she is beautiful too and she has Down syndrome." I just wanted to see if that would make any connection to her. She got so excited and started saying, "She's my twin! I have Down syndrome too!" And then she started talking non-stop to Morgan about how they were both beautiful and twins and had Down syndrome. It was honestly the sweetest thing ever.

Mel said...

Poor Finn. Teeth?

Carla said...

I just want to scoop him up. JT does the same thing when he is coming down with something; he'll be crawling along and then just lay down for a little rest. Poor little guys. Hope Finn is feeling better soon.

Unknown said...

aw, i hope that finn feels better soon. it's hard when our LO's are under the weather.

your comment about wondering if linda could tell that finn was "one of her people" struck a chord with me. it is powerful to know that someone is "like me". i feel that way sometimes when i find other lesbian moms. we are a small group and i live in a fairly conservative part of the country. when i find another lesbian mom, i get all excited. or when i meet another female firefighter, or another fiddle player. i doubt it's all that different for linda.

h

Sasha@ Blyssfulhealth said...

oh hope he feels better. My little ones both have a little cold. It's getting me ready for flu season.

My name is Sarah said...

Ahhh Finn little buddy. I am so sorry you are not feeling so good. I hope you get better.