Monday, January 25, 2010

In the Wise Words of Mr. Rogers . . .


"Part of the problem with the word disabilities is that it immediately suggests an inability to see or hear or walk or do other things that many of us take for granted. But what of people who can't feel? Or talk about their feelings? Or manage their feelings in constructive ways? What of people who aren't able to form close and strong relationships? And people who cannot find fulfillment in their lives, or those who have lost hope, who live in disappointment and bitterness and find in life no joy, no love? These, it seems to me, are the real disabilities."

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Now that's something that makes you go hmmmmmm..........great post Lisa! I totally agree!

heidi marie said...

such a great quote from a childhood favorite!

The 3rd graders of room 107 said...

A bit off topic, but Mr. Rogers was quoted at church on Sunday, in regards to Haiti, during the children's sermon -- it spoke to me and I've thought about it a lot since then, as I'm going through a crisis in my life right now where I need the assistance of friends and family just to get through each day:

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.'"

I love that: "Look for the helpers."